Patient Rights and Responsibilities
As a student receiving services at the Engemann Student Health Center, you:
- Have the right to considerate and respectful healthcare
- Have a responsibility to give your provider and the other Engemann Student Health Center staff members the same respect and consideration
- Have the right, whenever possible, to select your own provider
- Have the right to receive complete information regarding the diagnosis, treatment and prognosis of your health problem
- Have a responsibility to provide complete, honest information to your provider and to other Engemann Student Health Center staff members, so that the best decisions may be made about your healthcare
- Have the right to be seen in a timely manner for your health concerns
- Have a responsibility to cancel or change your appointment in a timely manner, in order to allow others in need to have access to a healthcare provider
- Have the right to receive adequate information necessary to provide informed consent prior to the start of any procedure, test or treatment
- Have a responsibility to make sure that you understand, or that you ask questions in order to clarify your understanding
- Have the right to refuse treatment, or to ask for a second opinion, or an alternative course of treatment, and to be informed of the medical consequences of your actions
- Have a responsibility, if you agree to a course of treatment, to yourself and to the clinician to follow the prescribed instructions, including completing medication and returning for follow-up appointments
- Have the right to ask for a prescription for an outside pharmacy, or to have diagnostic tests performed at another facility.
- Have the right to privacy concerning your healthcare. All care and counseling received at the Engemann Student Health Center will be kept strictly confidential, except as required by law.
- Have the right to access your medical record. In accordance with Engemann Student Health Center procedural guidelines, you may review your record with an authorized staff member. You may receive a copy of your medical record, or designate a Health Care Provider to receive a copy of your record on your behalf.
- Have the right to receive an explanation of any service charge incurred.
- Have a responsibility to be cost-conscious, to use the service wisely, and to pay any bill promptly. You should be aware that any service obtained outside of the Engemann Student Health Center is your financial responsibility.
If you have any questions about these rights and responsibilities, please do not hesitate to contact us.