After an initial phone assessment, you may be referred to individual counseling either at the center, off-campus, or you may be referred to a group at the center. Many students report that counseling is helpful to them because they can:
- Talk privately in a safe environment about personal concerns
- Experience the attention and support of a professional counselor who is entirely focused on their concerns
- Identify and express their feelings about past experiences
- Explore ways to manage stress, anxiety, sadness or frustration
- Learn ways to help themselves feel better now and in the future
- Make changes in your life to reach your personal and academic goals
It is typical to feel a bit nervous if you have never been to individual counseling. It is difficult to know what to expect. However, most students are surprised at how “normal” the experience is compared to what is shown on television or in the movies.
Student Counseling Services utilizes a short-term model to help students cope with the challenges of college life such as adjustment difficulties, academic related stress, and relationship problems, etc. If following brief therapy, it is recognized that ongoing therapy may be beneficial, counselors may recommend a referral in the community.