Making An Appointment
The first step for students seeking any services is scheduling a consultation with a counselor, which is a confidential phone conversation. The purpose of the conversation is to help us understand and assess your needs, and then review options and resources based on the concerns you shared. You may call our office between 8:30 am – 5 pm Monday-Friday or make your appointment online at usc.edu/myshr.
What to expect for your phone appointment:
- At the scheduled appointment time, the Student Counseling Services (SCS) counselor will attempt to contact you by phone. If you do not answer the phone, please be sure your voicemail is set up or that you read your email if they attempt to call you.
- Please plan on being in a private location with good phone reception so you can answer questions honestly and openly.
- Although you may receive a text reminder about your appointment with our address, it is a phone appointment and not in-person.
- Students that are not available at the time of the scheduled appointment or cancelled/re-scheduled with less than 24 hours will be assessed the late cancellation/no-show fee of $20.
The counselor will speak with you for 15-20 minutes and ask several questions about your situation and talk with you about available options that may be appropriate for you. We rely on you to help us understand the nature of your needs. Please be as open as you can during this phone conversation. Based on the clinician’s professional assessment of your current circumstances, history and goals, they will provide recommendations for treatment. These might include:
- Scheduling you for an urgent appointment if your need is more serious.
- Referring you to one of our SCS groups, in which many students have found supportive and effective assistance for addressing their concerns. For some concerns, this is the treatment of choice, whether to learn stress/mood management skills or learning to connect with others.
- Scheduling for brief, solution-focused therapy with a SCS counselor.
- Referring you to a specialist in the community. This can be a good option for people whose needs would best be addressed with an ongoing supportive relationship or specialist or for those who prefer to have counseling off-campus.
- Referring you to another USC office for services. SCS works closely with other offices that offer specialized support to students to help them meet their needs. This can include anything from time management skills from Occupational Therapy for time management and organization skill building, medical services, academic or career advisors, or test taking anxiety from Kortschack Learning and Creativity Center.
In fairness to students wanting timely services, Student Counseling Services will charge $20.00 for any missed appointment with no notice or less than 24 hour cancellation. The fee will automatically be billed to your student bursar bill. If you are unable to keep an appointment, please call (213) 740-7711 to cancel at least 24 hours in advance in order to avoid the $20 fee. This will assist in making the appointment time available to others.