There is a mandatory health insurance process for the USC Student Health Insurance. Most students are automatically enrolled in the plan. Please see below for more information about enrollment and how to enroll. Please visit the main Insurance page for all general information.
Deadline to Enroll
The deadline to enroll for Fall 2014 has passed.
Who’s Automatically Enrolled?
The University of Southern California requires that all students have comprehensive health insurance. If you are already covered under a comprehensive health insurance policy, you may elect to waive coverage. Otherwise:
- All domestic students taking 6 units or more are automatically enrolled in the USC Student Health Insurance Plan. The cost is automatically added to your student account with the University.
- All international students and Health Sciences Campus students are automatically enrolled, even if they are taking less than 6 units.
- Because the USC Student Health Insurance Plan works in conjunction with the Student Health Centers, all students enrolled in the Plan are also required to pay the Student Health Center fee. This fee covers medical care provided at the Student Health Centers, and is in addition to your health insurance premium. The Student Health Center fee is automatically added to your student account with the University.
Who’s Not Automatically Enrolled?
Not all students are automatically enrolled in the USC Student Health Insurance Plan. Those who must actively enroll are:
- Domestic students taking less than 6 units. However, all international students and all Health Science Campus students are automatically enrolled, regardless of the number of units they are taking.
How to Enroll
If you are not automatically enrolled in the plan and you wish to purchase the USC Student Health Insurance Plan for yourself at the beginning of a new semester, you must enroll online.
Even if you are enrolled automatically in the plan, you can still go online and positively enroll as of June 20, 2014. Actively enrolling online early ensures you will receive your insurance I.D. card and be recognized as eligible on day one of the coverage period. Fall 2014 coverage begins on August 18, 2014. Students need to be registered for their classes for 5-7 business days before beginning the enrollment process.
- Login to your myUSC account.
- Then, click on Oasis.
- Next, click on Student Health Insurance, which is listed as the last item under “other services” in OASIS. This will bring you to the Aetna Student Health online enrollment system where you will follow the instructions to complete your online enrollment.
- You may print out a copy of the completed enrollment request confirmation for your records. Note: The Enrollment Form is not proof of coverage, and should not be used as such. If you need medical care before receiving a permanent I.D. card from Aetna Student Health, you should use a temporary paper I.D. card available from the Student Health Insurance Office; you can also download a temporary I.D. card from the Aetna Navigator website or go to aetnastudenthealth.com
- The cost of coverage will be added to your student account with the University.
Enrollments for Domestic Students at Satellite Locations
All enrollments for domestic students registered for 5 units or less and students attending classes at one of the satellite locations (Skirball, Orange County, San Diego, Catalina, Sacramento and Washington DC) should be completed online.
Optional Student Dental Plan Enrollment
The deadline to enroll in the optional dental plan is only once a year in the Fall. This deadline has passed.