Health Award Recipients
Information for Graduate and PhD Students…
Departments looking to adjust the dates of coverage for summer health award recipients may do so by contacting the Student Health Insurance Office at (213) 740-0551.
Please note: If you are a Graduate or PhD student who received a Health Award or any form of support from your USC academic department, you may NOT request a waiver for the health insurance, dental insurance or the student health center fee.
Welcome USC Assistantship Recipients!
If you are a Graduate student, Research or Teaching Assistant, or a PhD student, here is some important information about the Engemann Student Health Center. Since you have been given a Health Award as part of your benefits here at USC, you have access to the student health center for all of your healthcare needs.
Your Health Award benefits include:
- Access to the student health center including primary care, specialty care and acute care visits.
- After hours assistance.
- Immunizations – please visit the Immunizations section for new student requirements.
- Self-Care Resources
- Specialty Care Services including Allergy and Travel Clinic, Physical and Occupational Therapy, Acupuncture, Chiropractic Care and much more. Primary care referral may be needed.
- Sexual and Reproductive Health
- Laboratory Services
- Radiology Services
- Pharmacy Services
- As a Health Award recipient, it is important to learn about the USC Student Health Insurance Plan that will cover your health insurance needs.
- There is also a mandatory Student Health Fee which is required every semester.
- Please see the Price List for additional fees that may apply.
Important Dates To Remember
- Deadlines – To make any changes, the deadline for Fall 2016 is September 9, 2016.
- Dates of Coverage – Students will be covered for an entire year under the USC Student Health Insurance Plan. Coverage dates for the 2016-2017 academic year are August 15, 2016 – August 13, 2017.
Enrollment in Insurance
Upon registration for any number of units in any term, Award Recipients and PhD students are automatically enrolled in the health insurance, which includes vision care, dental plan and the student health center. The student health center on your home campus becomes the primary place for your healthcare needs. There are no forms to complete, however, students with questions should contact the staff advisor in their home department or the Student Health Insurance Office.
Getting Your Health Insurance Card Early
Even though you are enrolled automatically in the insurance plan, you can still go online and positively enroll after June 1, 2016 – if you have already registered for your Fall classes. Actively enrolling online early ensures you will be recognized as eligible on day one of the coverage period. Go to the Print Your Card instruction page here. Fall 2016 coverage will still begin on August 15, 2016. Students need to be registered for their classes for 5-7 business days before beginning the enrollment process.