USC Student Health Insurance Waiver Process
What is a waiver?
A waiver is a request to opt-out of the USC Student Health Insurance Plan. If you are covered by a comprehensive insurance plan meeting the University’s requirements (detailed below), you may submit a waiver request through our online process. All waiver requests are manually reviewed by our health insurance department and a decision will be made within 30 days of receipt and sent to you at your USC email address.
What is the waiver criteria?
If you are automatically enrolled in the USC Student Health Insurance Plan and want to opt out, you may submit an online waiver request if your comprehensive health insurance plan meets the University’s requirements listed below.
In order to waive the USC Student Health Insurance Plan, your insurance plan must:
• Your health plan must have in-network providers (hospital and doctors) in the Los Angeles area. (on-campus students only) Emergency/urgent care only is not accepted for waiver.
• Provide continuous year-round coverage while you are a student at the University of Southern California.
• Your insurance plan must meet Affordable Care Act (ACA) criteria. Only plans in compliance with ACA will be accepted. (No major exclusions such as maternity or mental health coverage allowed).
• Cover preventive care services at 100%.
• Have an annual combined deductible and out-of-pocket expense of $6,600 or less.
Upon request, you must be able to provide a copy of:
• Verifiable proof of coverage with student’s name (ID card, insurance policy or letter from insurance carrier.)
• Plan document(s) in English, with currency amounts converted to U.S. dollars, and an insurance company contact phone number in the U.S. is mandatory. All claims must be processed in the U.S. and paid directly to U.S. providers.
Some of the reasons you may not be granted a waiver include:
• Most international plans are not accepted.
• Out of state plans with regional coverage only and Medicaid insurance is not accepted.
• If your current policy is not compliant with the Affordable Care Act.
Attention International Students:
If you are an International Student, please be aware that most international plans are not accepted. Your insurance plan must meet the minimum requirements to support your visa as well as the criteria above.
How often do I need to request a waiver?
You must request a waiver once a year in the fall semester. Waivers submitted in the fall are good for the entire academic year.
If you missed the fall deadline, or if you are a new, incoming student, you may request a waiver for spring/summer beginning in early December. Waivers submitted in the spring are only good for the spring/summer term. Don’t forget to submit a new waiver request in the fall.
What are the waiver request deadlines?
The Spring 2016 deadline to waive the insurance is January 29, 2016. This is only available to new Spring 2016 students. All other students have a chance to waive the insurance again in Fall 2016.
How do I request a waiver?
Step 1: Register for classes.
You must be actively registered for classes for the 2015-2016 school year before starting the online enrollment/request for waiver process. If you are not registered for classes, you will not be able to request a waiver using the online system.
Step 2: Wait 5 to 7 business days after registering for classes.
Once you register for your classes, please wait 5 to 7 business days before attempting to go online and request a waiver.
Step 3: Read over Waiver Criteria above to make sure this is the right option for you.
Step 4: Print and Complete the Waiver Worksheet
We want you to use the following worksheet as a reference tool before you begin your online request to ensure you have all the information required for a correct waiver request. (You may need to contact your current insurance company to obtain some of the information on the worksheet).
Step 5: Complete your online request for a waiver
All requests for a waiver must be completed online by the student. Make sure you have all of the required information before beginning – you are not able to log out and come back to the request at a later time.
- Have a copy of your health insurance ID card and the completed Waiver Worksheet prior to beginning the waiver request.
- Login to your myUSC Account.
- Click on the Oasis icon (Student login only as guest login cannot access this process.)
- Click on Other Services.
- Click on Student Health Insurance – this brings you to the Aetna Student Health online waiver request system.
- Complete the waiver request before the deadline.
We may contact you at any time to request adequate proof of coverage. If your other health insurance coverage ends involuntarily—even in the middle of the semester—you may be eligible to purchase coverage through the USC Student Health Insurance Plan. Contact the Health Insurance department on your campus within 30 days of losing your coverage to find out if you are eligible to enroll.
Students who transfer to USC in the Spring of 2016 and would like to request a waiver for the remainder of the school year may do so online beginning now. Please make sure you have been registered for 5-7 business days before starting this process.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please call us at (213) 740-9355.