USC Student Health Insurance Waiver Process
What is a Waiver?
A waiver is a document students can submit online to opt-out of the USC Student Health Insurance, if you already have qualified supplemental health insurance.
How often do I need to request a waiver?
You only need to request a waiver once a year, every Fall. You may request a waiver in the Spring if you missed the Fall deadline or are a new incoming student in the Spring.
What are the waiver request deadlines?
Students should submit a waiver request by the following dates:
- Fall 2013: The deadline to submit a waiver for the Fall semester is September 13, 2013.
- Spring 2014: The deadline to submit a waiver for the Spring semester is January 31, 2014.
What is the waiver criteria?
If you qualify for automatic enrollment in the USC Student Health Insurance Plan, you may waive coverage only if you show proof that you have other adequate health insurance which meets the University’s requirements. Students who are enrolled in an alternate health insurance plan (or who are on their parents’ plan) may request to waive (relinquish) enrollment in the USC Student Health Insurance Plan by providing proof of comparable coverage (see criteria below).
IMPORTANT: Students insured under their parent’s plan can face the possibility of not being covered in the Los Angeles area if their managed care plan does not provide local coverage. Check first with your carrier if you are planning to waive the USC Student Health Insurance Plan.
In order to waive the USC Student Health Insurance Plan, your other coverage must:
- Have effective dates covering the entire semester: Fall 2013—August 19, 2013 through January 12, 2014. Spring/Summer 2014—January 13, 2014 through August 17, 2014.
- Cover you for the entire coverage period (dates listed above).
- A minimum of $500,000 lifetime aggregate coverage (no per incident maximums).
- Cover preventive care services at 100%.
- No major exclusions – must include pharmacy coverage, mental health coverage that meets coinsurance requirements, and maternity coverage (female students).
- A policy year deductible of $2,500 or less. Maximum total expense (deductible plus out-of-pocket maximum) cannot exceed $7,500.
- A minimum of 70% coinsurance payable by the insurance plan to providers in the Los Angeles area. Emergency/urgent care only is not accepted for waiver.
- Verifiable proof of coverage with student’s name (ID card, insurance policy or letter from insurance carrier – copy provided).
- Effective dates covering the entire period for which I am requesting a waiver.
- Plan document(s) in English, with currency amounts converted to U.S. dollars, and an insurance company contact phone # in the U.S. is mandatory.
How do I request a waiver?
Step 1: Register for classes
You must be actively registered for classes for the 2013-2014 school year before starting the online enrollment/request for waiver process. If you are not registered for classes, you will not be able to enroll or request a waiver using the online system.
Step 2: Wait three days after registering for classes
Once you register for your classes, please wait 3 business days before attempting to go online and enroll/request a waiver.
Step 3: Read over Waiver Criteria above to make sure this is the right option for you.
Step 4: Complete the Waiver Worksheet
Use the following worksheet to ensure you have all the information you’ll need to provide when you request a waiver. Once you exit the online waiver site, you won’t be able to go back and edit information or complete the online waiver request at a later date.
Step 5: Complete your online request for a waiver
All requests for waiver must be completed online.
- Before you begin the request for waiver process, please make sure you have your current insurance card with you as you will need information off this card to submit a request for waiver.
- If you are planning to waive the annual USC student insurance coverage, you will begin by logging in to your OASIS account. Click on Student Health Insurance, which is listed as the last item under “other services” in OASIS. This will bring you to the Aetna Student Health online waiver system where you will follow the instructions to complete your online request for waiver.
- You must waive coverage and provide proof of adequate coverage before the Fall deadline date.
If you waive coverage for the entire academic year in the Fall, we may contact you in the Spring to again provide adequate proof of coverage. If your coverage from your other health insurance plan ends—even in the middle of the semester—you may be eligible to purchase coverage through the USC Student Health Insurance Plan. Contact the Student Health Insurance Coordinator on your campus for more information.
Students who transfer to USC in the Spring and would like to request a waiver for the remainder of the school year may do so online beginning December 1, 2013. Deadline to request a Spring/Summer insurance waiver is January 31, 2014.
If you have any questions or for more information please call the Student Insurance Office at (213) 740-0551.