National Nutrition Month: Add More Color to Your Plate!
March is National Nutrition Month! Let’s “Go Further with Food” this month by including a variety of healthful foods on a regular basis!
With the stress of classes, clubs, organizations, and social activities, it’s easy for college students to neglect the importance of a healthy diet. However, a healthy diet provides the energy needed to tackle day-to-day tasks and helps us fight off diseases by improving our immune systems.
Fruits and vegetables make up a large portion of a balanced meal. In fact, half your plate should be filled with fruits and vegetables. Here are some on ways to add more color to your meals:
- Wake up to fruit and vegetables! Add fruits to your breakfast in your morning oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, or waffle. Add veggies to your omelette and top it off with low-fat cheddar cheese! Yum!
- Stock up on fresh fruits! Keep a bowl of fresh fruits in view so you can easily grab something to snack on.
- Mix up an easy breakfast smoothie with low-fat milk, bananas, and other berries!
- Make 2 cups of fruit and 2.5 cups of vegetables your daily goal!
- Fix some healthy snacks! Try raw veggies with low-fat cottage cheese, or a tablespoon of peanut butter with an apple or banana.
A healthy meal is a colorful one!
For more tips on healthy eating, visit https://www.eatright.org/food.