Practicum Counselor Training Program
The USC Student Counseling Services offers a two semester, 23 hours per week advanced practicum program. This is an excellent opportunity for clinical experience within a university counseling center and to gain skills in short-term therapy as well as outreach and consultation. The 2015-2016 training program will be from August 17, 2015 – May 13, 2016.
Advanced practicum trainees will be involved with clients at the Student Counseling Services and the USC campus community in the following ways. Each trainee:
- Carries a case-load of 8-10 clients each semester
- Conducts intakes
- Receives one hour of individual supervision with a psychology intern in our APA-accredited internship program and an additional hour from a licensed psychologist
- Receives 1.5 hours of group supervision
- May participate in group process observation training, if scheduling allows
- Participates in consultation and outreach programming
The following are regular weekly activities required for participation in the Practicum Training program:
- Attendance at All Staff meetings Monday mornings at 11 a.m.
- Participation in group supervision and Practicum Administrative meeting Monday afternoons from 1 p.m. – 3 p.m.
- Attendance at Professional Development Series from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
When appropriate, practicum students are encouraged, but not required, to explore historical influences and personal data which may affect subsequent clinical practice. The Training Program functions in a manner consistent with the American Psychological Association’s Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct (2002, including 2010 amendments), Standard 7.04: Student Disclosure of Personal Information.
A mandatory orientation program commences in August of the training year. It includes training modules in short-term psychotherapy, diagnosis and assessment, psychiatric consultation, crisis intervention, ethical and legal concerns, wellness, working with diverse client populations, outreach and consultation, and other relevant topics.
Enrollment required in the clinical psychology doctoral program at either Alliant International University, Los Angeles; Pepperdine University; University of La Verne (Clinical-Community Psychology Doctoral program); or the University of Southern California. Please know, candidates may not apply to our internship program during the same year they are a practicum student.
Required materials include a letter of interest, vita, transcript (official not required), and three letters of recommendation. Application needs to be postmarked or emailed by Friday, February 20, 2015. Interviews will take place in March. Please contact:
Kelly Greco, PsyD
Coordinator of Practicum Training
Student Counseling Services
1031 West 34th Street, Suite 304
Los Angeles, CA 90089-3261
Phone: (213) 740-7711
Fax: (213) 740-6815