Doctoral Internship Program Application Process
Requirements to Apply
- Successfully completed all required course work in an APA-accredited Counseling or Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program by the internship start date.
- Successfully completed comprehensive examinations by the November 3, 2017 application deadline.
- Successfully completed at least two, preferably three supervised practicum experiences (in conjunction with their doctoral program in Counseling or Clinical Psychology) by the internship start date.
- Successfully completed 500 face-to-face clinical intervention hours by the application date, including individual or group therapy, crisis intervention and assessment experience.
- Successfully defended dissertation proposal by the ranking deadline.
USC’S MATCH #: 113611
APPIC Application for Psychology Internships (AAPI). In order for us to receive your application, you will need to select the University of Southern California, Student Counseling Services as a “designated” site.
- The online AAPI application should include your cover letter in which you discuss your goals, interests and experiences and why you think you would be a good match for our Center.
- Official copy of graduate transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation from former or current clinical supervisors who have direct knowledge of your clinical skills.
The cover letter as well as the letters of recommendation should be addressed to:
Broderick Leaks, PhD
Assistant Director/Training Director
Engemann Student Health Center: Student Counseling Services
1031 West 34th Street, Suite 304
Los Angeles, California 90089-3261
The Selection Process
Review of Written Material
Two members of the Selection Committee review every completed candidate file that meets our basic requirements. Once all applications have been reviewed, the Committee meets to determine which applicants will proceed to our interview stage. Recognizing the financial burden of the interview process, we only offer Skype interviews.
Video Conferencing Interviews
Intern applicants will be notified by December 1, 2017 as to whether or not they have been selected for interviews. Candidates selected for interviews are notified by phone and/or email; those not selected receive email only. Hour-long interviews are conducted with members of our senior staff and a current intern during mid December and in January. Applicants are asked to respond to structured questions and a case vignette. Please be prepared to discuss several clinical case examples. Time is also reserved for applicant questions. The Selection Committee then evaluates candidates according to “goodness of fit” with our Center.
We offer two Open Houses, Monday, December 18, 2017, and Friday, January 26, 2018, for candidates who have been offered an interview. This allows candidates to meet our staff, visit our Center and tour the campus. Due to the demand, it is difficult for us to honor individual tour requests. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
We realize that there are economic barriers that may make attending the Open House prohibitive. Please know that your inability to attend will not negatively affect your final ranking. However, the majority of our interns and candidates have remarked that attending the open house was instrumental in their ranking decisions as they were able to get a good feel of the staff and our culture. Whether or not you attend our Open Houses, you are welcome to contact current interns or staff members with questions.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Broderick Leaks, PhD at (213) 740-7711 or email@example.com.