The University of Southern California requires that all students have comprehensive health insurance. If you are already covered under a comprehensive health insurance policy, you may elect to waive coverage. Please see below for more information about enrollment and how to enroll.
Who’s Automatically Enrolled?
- All domestic students taking 6 units or more are automatically enrolled in the USC Student Health Insurance Plan. The cost is automatically added to your student account with the University.
- All international students and Health Sciences Campus students are automatically enrolled, even if they are taking less than 6 units.
- Because the USC Student Health Insurance Plan works in conjunction with the Student Health Centers, all students enrolled in the Plan are also required to pay the Student Health Center fee. This fee covers medical care provided at the Student Health Centers, and is in addition to your health insurance premium. The Student Health Center fee is automatically added to your student account with the University.
Who’s Not Automatically Enrolled?
You must actively enroll if you are a:
- Domestic students taking less than 6 units. However, all international students and all Health Science Campus students are automatically enrolled, regardless of the number of units they are taking.
How to Enroll
If you are not automatically enrolled in the plan and you wish to purchase the USC Student Health Insurance Plan for yourself at the beginning of a new semester, you must enroll online.
(Note for Spring 2017 students only: The deadline for Spring enrollment has passed. Spring 2017 coverage began on January 9, 2017.)
- Go to the Aetna Student Health online enrollment system where you will follow the instructions to complete your online enrollment.
- You may print out a copy of the completed enrollment request confirmation for your records. Note: The Enrollment Form is not proof of coverage, and should not be used as such. If you need medical care before receiving a permanent I.D. card from Aetna Student Health, you should use a temporary paper I.D. card available from the Student Health Insurance Office; you can also download a temporary I.D. card from the Aetna Navigator website or go to aetnastudenthealth.com
- The cost of coverage will be added to your student account with the University.
Enrollments for Domestic Students at Satellite Locations
All enrollments for domestic students registered for 5 units or less and students attending classes at one of the satellite locations (Skirball, Orange County, San Diego, Catalina, Sacramento and Washington DC) should be completed online.
Optional Student Dental Plan Enrollment
The deadline to enroll in the optional dental plan is only once a year in the Fall. The deadline for the 2016-2017 academic year has passed. See the dental page for the dental enrollment form and information.