Violence Outreach Intervention and Community Empowerment (VOICE)
VOICE is a peer outreach program created by Relationship and Sexual Violence Prevention and Services (RSVP) to engage USC students in supporting survivors of trauma and preventing sexual and gender-based violence in their respective communities on campus. VOICE Representatives complete an initial six-hour training to broaden their awareness of sexual violence, trauma, stalking and relationship abuse. They also learn about campus and local resource providers, and practice strategies for supporting a peer in crisis. Representatives use their knowledge to serve as liaisons between RSVP and their peers who are seeking assistance, information or support. These students continue to explore issues related to gender and sexual-based violence through biweekly meetings which are generally held on Fridays from 1:15 p.m. – 3:15 p.m.
VOICE representatives are compassionate and committed students who represent the broad range of identities, communities and academic programs on campus. These students want to make a real difference in how the Trojan Family responds to sexual and gender-based violence. The program is open to both undergraduate and graduate students.
We accept applications for this peer outreach program throughout the year, but please note that we have cut off times to join VOICE. Please refer to the VOICE calendar. Submit your VOICE peer outreach program application here.
In VOICE Year 1, VOICE Representatives are expected to:
• Attend 3 mandatory trainings (listed below)
• Attend biweekly meetings on Fridays from 1:15 p.m.-3:15 p.m.
• Complete a minimum of 2 marketing outreaches during the Spring semester
• Engage USC community in monthly outreach tabling on various topics related to sexual and gender-based harm totaling at least 5 hours per semester.
Spring Semester 2018
1/12/18, 1/26/18, 2/9/18, 2/23/18, 3/9/18, 3/30/18, 4/13/18, 4/27/18 @1:15-3:15 p.m. (ESH 101)
VOICE Advanced Peer Educators
For 2017-2018, returning VOICE Representatives who have completed Year 1, will have the opportunity to participate in an Advanced Peer Educator cohort in order to remain connected to RSVP and to continue their involvement in VOICE as liaisons, educators, and leaders. Please note, you may only miss 2 meetings per semester. All meetings will be held from 1:15 p.m.-3:15 p.m. in the ESHC 110.
Spring Semester 2018
1/19/18, 2/2/18, 2/16/18, 3/2/18, 3/23/18, 4/6/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18 @1:15-3:15 p.m. (ESH 101)
In VOICE Advanced, VOICE Representatives are expected to:
- Complete an initial 2-hour training which includes a Year 1 refresher course, an introduction to workshop facilitation, and training in VOICE educational presentations
- Attend biweekly meetings, missing up to 2/semester during which you will:
- Plan 2-3 socials for both VOICE Year 1 and Advanced Peer Educators
- Plan monthly tabling activities
- Complete at least 10 hours of RSVP activity per semester which can include a combination of the following:
- Educational presentations/semester (required 2 minimum)
- Engage USC community in monthly tabling on various topics related to sexual and gender-based harm (required 5 hour minimum)
- VOICE marketing presentations
- Blog post for RSVP site on a topic of sexual/gender-based harm
- Other prevention, education and planning activities as discussed with and approved by RSVP staff