AlcoholEdu® for College
Who needs to take AlcoholEdu for College?
All incoming undergraduate (first year and transfer) students.
Key Dates to Remember
USC Deadline to Complete AlcoholEdu:
Fall 2017: available beginning July 24, 2017
AlcoholEdu Part 1 due: October 3, 2017
AlcoholEdu Part 2* due: November 17, 2017
* You will be notified by email when Part 2 of AlcoholEdu is available 30-45 days after you complete Part 1).
Why is this required?
USC has partnered with EverFi, whose mission is to help students address critical life skills such as alcohol abuse prevention, sexual assault prevention, and financial literacy in higher education institutions across the country.
As part of our comprehensive prevention program for new students, USC requires all incoming undergraduate (first and transfer) students to complete AlcoholEdu for College. Whether or not you choose not to drink, this online education will empower you to make well-informed decisions about issues that affect your years at USC and beyond.
How do I access the course?
Please read the following carefully:
- Always sign in at: my.usc.edu
- In the “my Services” section, go to the Safety & Wellness widget.
- In the “Online Courses” tab, select AlcoholEdu for College and you will be directed to the registration page.
What if I miss the deadline?
If you miss the Part 1 deadline, finish Part 1 of AlcoholEdu as soon as possible. There is a 30-45 day intersession between Part 1 and 2. Finishing Part 1 as soon as possible will impact your completion date for Part 2 of the course.
If you miss the Part 2 deadline, a registration hold will be placed on your student account. You will still be able to access and take the course after this time, but there may be complications with removing your registration hold. Holds are automatically removed within 30 minutes of your completion. If you still have a hold after 1 hour (60 minutes), send an email with your student ID, along with a screenshot of your course completion and a screenshot of the registration hold to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if I have already taken the course at another institution?
All incoming first year and transfer students are required to take AlcoholEdu for College at USC, regardless of completion at another institution.
How long can I expect the course to take?
Part 1 of AlcoholEdu will take approximately 60-75 minutes to complete.
Part 2 of AlcoholEdu will take approximately 10-15 minutes to complete.
I’m not 21, but I still drink. Will my answers be private?
The AlcoholEdu course will include surveys about your personal health behaviors to help personalize your experience and measure students’ alcohol-related attitudes and behaviors. All survey responses are confidential; USC will only receive information about the student body as a whole and never your individual answers as a student.
What about technical issues?
- You will need Internet access and audio capabilities
- To avoid technical issues, please use any major web browser (e.g. Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome) released within the previous two years
- You may take the course in multiple sittings, but make sure tho click on the “next” button after completing a section before logging out. If you do not progress to the next section first, you will have to repeat the previous section
- If you experience technical problems within the course, click the “help” button to access the 24/7 help center, or contact Everfi at 866-384-9062
- If you experience problems with MyUSC, contact USC Information Technology Services at email@example.com or at (213) 740-5555
- The USC AlcoholEdu team is unable to provide technical support for the course
What if I have additional questions?
If you have a question about Think About It or On the Safe Side (the other two required courses), please see the Student Affairs website and contact the appropriate department.
If your questions was not answered above, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your student ID and a screenshot of what you are seeing in MyUSC under the AlcoholEdu for college section. We will do our best to respond within 24-48 business hours.